Sunday, November 22, 2009

AT Module #2

For my needs assessment, I chose a group of 3 special education students, two with cerebral palsy and one with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. I chose these students because they are nonverbal and it is difficult for them to participate in story time in the library. For my hardware I chose a device called a "Big Talk", into which the teacher or librarian can record a word or phrase. The student can then participate in story time by pressing the big button and having the voice speak back to them. It works best with repetitive stories.

If I faced a situation in the library with a student who was visually impaired, some modifications made to technology could include larger font size and a keyboard with bigger keys on the computer. The print materials could include larger print books and magazines. If the student was hearing impaired, perhaps I could learn sign language to complement the reading.

1 comment: