Thursday, October 15, 2009

THING #15 (Week 6)

I learned a lot about copyright, fair use, and the public domain by reading the comic book written by the students at Duke University Law School. Although it focused specifically on making documentaries, the examples were applicable to any materials. It really drove the point home that a balance has to be struck between protecting the copyright holder and the creator of new works who wants to build on others' ideas. As secretary to the teachers at my old job I did all the copying, and in several situations questioned if what I was doing was indeed within the realm of fair use.

As for the concept of Library 2.0, I agree with the point made in the #15 Post, that libraries have almost always displayed the attributes that Library 2.0 is supposed to promulgate. Sometimes I think there's a lot of pressure on all of us to use these new tools simply because they're available. What we need to do, and what we are learning from this online course, is how to enrich our curriculum and facilitate learning through new technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment